The White Rajah of Sarawak- a local school production


 I attended a local school production of The White Rajah of Sarawak - an original musical produced by the St Joseph's Family of Schools at the ACCPC Grand Hall in Kuching. It was so impressive!

For a person who has watched West End's Phantom three times, Les Mis and Wicked twice just to name a few, I had to keep my expectations stratified towards a school-level sort of standard. I recalled those days when I was involved in Leo drama competition becoming stage crews. Even the tiniest roles needed precise coordination, what more to say a live orchestra performing with actors on the stage!


Suffice to say, I was not disappointed at all with the 3-hour long musical. The students were amazingly talented. I could tell that there was so much effort put into every single detail of the production. There were scenes which were pretty comedic, so that was pretty fun too. I thoroughly enjoyed the three characters of Lau Chek Kong, Haji Mohd Wahid and Empawi anak Entalang. Their bahasa Sarawak, Hokkien and Iban gave me chuckles. 


If there was anything that they could improve on, it would be the duration of musical. At three hours, it was longer than most standard musicals (I think only Les Mis went over 3 hours). The set up and venue could also improve in terms of a theatre setting rather than a hall where the level is the same and shorties like me struggle to catch a view. However, I do understand that it is not easy to get a theatrical setting in Kuching. 

It actually also sparked my interest at the fact that such a young school (six years old) is capable of producing something of a high standard. It is interesting to note that this private school is run by the Church- something like those colonial times. They even have an international school. Interesting, indeed. I guess the international stream is gaining more popularity now that people start losing faith in the national education system. 

Will I go for another local production in the future?

Absolutely! I am a great supporter of local performing arts. Hah!

Comments

Popular Posts